About Maritime Skills CommissionMaritime UK and the Department for Transport are working together to set up a Maritime Skills Commission which will lead the sector’s work to ensure that we have the talented people we need.
The Commission’s job is to:
- Understand the skills needs of the sector, including the effects of technological change, and to make recommendations for action
- Ensure that no part of the sector suffers from serious skills shortages or skills gaps
- Ensure that the sector has the apprenticeships and qualifications it needs
- Ensure the sector has the training provision it needs, (including the use of technology to engage learners and keep costs down)
- Provide employees and employers with clear information about career paths and re-training options
- Promote maritime careers so that employers have good quality recruits for their vacancies
- Increase exports of maritime education and training
- The Commission will report jointly to the Maritime Minister and to Maritime UK’s National Council.