About Maritime UKMaritime UK is the umbrella body for the maritime sector, bringing together the shipping, ports, services, engineering and leisure marine industries. Its purpose is to champion and enable a thriving maritime sector. Supporting over 1 million jobs and adding £46.1bn to our economy, maritime is responsible for facilitating 95% of UK global trade, worth over £500bn per year.
The Commission’s job is to:
- Understand the skills needs of the sector, including the effects of technological change, and to make recommendations for action
- Ensure that no part of the sector suffers from serious skills shortages or skills gaps
- Ensure that the sector has the apprenticeships and qualifications it needs
- Ensure the sector has the training provision it needs, (including the use of technology to engage learners and keep costs down)
- Provide employees and employers with clear information about career paths and re-training options
- Promote maritime careers so that employers have good quality recruits for their vacancies
- Increase exports of maritime education and training
- The Commission will report jointly to the Maritime Minister and to Maritime UK’s National Council.