Assistant Engineer Officer - Woolwich Ferry
- Posted Date:23rd June 2022
- Apply Before: 4th July 2022
- Job Type:Full TimeJob Category:Assistant Engineer
Organisation: Woolwich Ferry
Job: Site Engineers
Position Type: Full Time
Salary: circa £40,000 including unsociable hours allowance – subject to qualification and experience
Location: Woolwich, East London
The Woolwich Ferry is a free vehicle and pedestrian ferry service across the River Thames in East London. The ferry service links Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich on the south bank, to North Woolwich in the borough of Newham on the north bank. It also links two ends of the inner London orbital road routes, the North and South Circulars. In excess of two million passengers use the ferry service each year.
There has been a Thames ferry service at Woolwich since the 14th Century. The original small open hand powered vessels and thereafter paddle steamers, are a long way from the two-diesel electric battery hybrid vessels which entered service early in 2019, accompanied by the intelligent docking and locking systems (IDLS) at the north and south terminals.
The Woolwich Ferry Service is licensed and financed by London River Services, the maritime arm of Transport for London (TfL). Following the Mayor of London’s announcement on 10th February 2020 the service was transferred in house to Transport for London’s full technical management at the end of 2020.
As an Assistant Engineering Officer, you will be responsible for the technical upkeep of vessels and river terminal assets and their safe operation through the provision of first line mobile technical and engineering support for vessels and plant, including remote monitoring control systems and routine and planned and unplanned maintenance.
- Monitoring of the running vessels performance to provide safety assurances to the Captain to proceed with start/shutdown and technical support and guidance throughout the vessels’ running time in the event of automation deviations in vessel propulsion, linkspans and auto-mooring and the re-setting of alarms
- First Line response in the event of any technical issues, requiring interrogation of the appropriate control systems, undertake physical inspections, identify cause and make sound technical recommendations for rectification; where necessary liaison with 3rd party support services
- To conduct periodic checks and adherence to all routine maintenance requirements in accordance with the planned maintenance system and to coordinate necessary resources for the timely completion of planned and unplanned maintenance under the direction of the Marine Engineering Officer and Marine Engineering Manager
- Assist with managing the preparation of vessels for dry dock and major special works and supervise externally contracted engineering works for the timely completion and quality assurance
- To understand and comply with the emergency procedures and designate responsibilities in line with the ISM code and emergency procedures
- Ensure adherence to technical standards in accordance with best practice, technical operating procedures, class and statutory regulations
- Preferably holds an Engineer Officer of the Watch (EOOW), unlimited STCW 111/1 Certificate of Competence or
- Qualified Marine Engineer, with HND in Marine / Mechanical Engineering or equivalent qualification
- Marine Safety Management Systems and regulatory safety requirements
- Strong technical analytical and fault finding
- Engineering and mechanical workshop skills
- Ability to write technical reports
- Strong IT & computer literacy skills
- Ability to use Planned Maintenance Software
- Ability to appropriately coach and guide at all levels
- Marine Engineering
- Team & supplier performance supervision & quality control
- Electrical, electronic and control engineering
- Remote monitoring, fault diagnostic & resolution
- Maintenance and repair
- Familiarisation with the philosophy of hybrid integrated power generation and propulsion management systems
- Experience with diesel electric frequency drive propulsion system preferably with DC bus bar
Please apply using your CV and a covering letter.
Think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience in the advert and cover this in your CV and cover letter.
Closing date: 3rd July 2022 at 23:59hrs
Equality, diversity, and inclusion
We are committed to equality, diversity, and inclusion. We want to represent the city we serve, which will help us become a more innovative and efficient organisation. Our goal is to make our recruitment as inclusive as possible. We are a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all of the essential criteria. We also use anonymising software that removes identifying information from CVs and cover letters to make the process fair.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Final salary pension scheme
- Free travel for you on the TfL network
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
- 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
- Discounted Eurostar travel