Assistant Harbour Master
- Post Date:5th May 2023
- Views 474
Department: Chief Harbour Master’s department
Reporting to: Harbour Master
Salary: starting at £46,791 per annum
Base: Gravesend or Central London
Closing Date: 16 May 2023
Interview Date: 26 May 202
Reference Number: 22
Who we are:
The Port of London Authority is the statutory harbour authority for the tidal Thames and responsible for 95 miles of the River Thames from the Estuary to Teddington Lock in West London. We work to keep river users safe, protect and enhance the environment and promote the use of the river for trade and travel.
The Harbour Masters team are responsible for ensuring compliance with the Port Marine Safety Code, ensuring the safety of navigation for all mariners in the Port of London, enforcing the rules and regulations and leading on Port Security and Emergency and Resilience Planning for the PLA.
We are currently recruiting an Assistant Harbour Master who will primarily support the Harbour Masters in meeting the requirements of the Port Marine Safety Code, undertaking and supporting incident investigations, proactive enforcement of both illegally moored vessels and Vessel Licensing issues.
The successful candidate will be responsible for liaising with event proposers to determine their viability and plan, organise and supervise requirements for such events as required, management of the PEC process and support such projects deemed necessary by the Harbour Masters team.
In addition, this role will review and approve RWL / TRWL applications as required, liaise with river users and oversee the management of launch and pilot cutter operations.
What we are looking for:
You will have the ability to manage your own responsibilities, whilst working as part of a team, directing and coordinating the provision of a safe, cost-effective and efficient service throughout the river that meets relevant statutory requirements for safe navigation.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Good presentation, interpersonal and communication skills are essential as the post holder will need to deal with particularly influential, articulate and often difficult people.
- Ability to obtain a MCA approved UK Harbour Master’s Certificate.
- Proactive, innovative approach to smarter working and improved efficiencies.
- Be able to exercise professional conduct with stakeholders, contractors, third parties and the general public
- Have the ability to work under pressure and time restraints independently
- 28 days annual leave
- Medical Cash Plan (Westfield Health)
- Generous pension
- Occupational Health, Mindfulness, Counselling and Physiotherapy
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Access to MyGymDiscounts
To apply, please complete the application form, including the reference number stated above.
You are required to have a Right to Work in UK, as currently the PLA is not a sponsor employer, therefore an offer of employment cannot be made unless you currently hold the rights to live and work in the UK.