Assistant Harbour Master
- Post Date:24th March 2022
- Views 1086
Department: Chief Harbour Master’s department
Salary: £40,475 per annum
Base: Gravesend or Central London
Contract type: Full time – Permanent
Closing Date: 8 April 2022
Interview Date: 20th & 21st April 2022
The Port of London Authority (PLA), a major trust port, is the statutory harbour authority for the tidal Thames.
We are currently recruiting an Assistant Harbour Master who will primarily support the Harbour Masters in meeting the requirements of the Port Marine Safety Code, undertaking and supporting incident investigations, proactive enforcement of both illegally moored vessels and Vessel Licensing issues.
The successful candidate will be responsible for liaising with event proposers to determine their viability and plan, organise and supervise requirements for such events as required, management of the PEC process and support such projects deemed necessary by the Harbour Masters team.
In addition, this role will review and approve RWL / TRWL applications as required, liaise with river users and oversee the management of launch and pilot cutter operations.
You need to be able to manage your own responsibilities, whilst working as part of a team, directing and coordinating the provision of a safe, cost-effective and efficient service throughout the river that meets relevant statutory requirements for safe navigation.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Good presentation, interpersonal and communication skills are essential as the post holder will need to deal with particularly influential, articulate and often difficult people.
- Ability to obtain a MCA approved UK Harbour Master’s Certificate.
- Proactive, innovative approach to smarter working and improved efficiencies.
- Be able to exercise professional conduct with stakeholders, contractors, third parties and the general public
- Have the ability to work under pressure and time restraints independently
Along with the salary, you will also receive the following benefits:
- 28 days annual leave
- Health cash plan with limited Private Medical Insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Occupational Health, Mindfulness, Counselling and Physiotherapy
- Workplace Nursery Scheme
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Salary Sacrifice Car Scheme
For further information about the job, please contact Lyn Kindlen-Funnell – Harbour Master on 01474 562313
You are required to have a Right to Work in UK, as currently the PLA is not a sponsor employer, therefore an offer of employment cannot be made unless you currently hold the rights to live and work in the UK.