Captain, Woolwich Ferries
- Post Date:28th July 2023
- Views 286
Organisation – Woolwich Ferry
Job – River Services
Position Type – Full Time
Main Location: Woolwich Ferry
Salary: £50,721 +10% for unsocial hours
As the Captain, you will take full responsibility for the Safety of Navigation and safe operation of the Woolwich Ferries and all associated floating craft, personnel and cargoes/vehicles at all times.
You will also take responsibility for the welfare of the crew and passengers and the protection of the marine environment as well as provide a safe and efficient service and to ensure that all TfL and WF KPI’s are met or exceeded at all times.
You will undertake such duties and responsibilities as required from time to time by the Operations Manager for the safe and efficient running of the WF service.
- Ensure that all assets, personnel, passengers and operations comply with TfL, WF and statutory authority Safety Management Systems at all times.
- To create, issue, and enforce the captain’s Standing Orders from time to time.
- Be responsible for all crew management and administration including, but not limited to, leave, sickness, training and development, discipline.
- Ensure that all operational, berthing, docking, passenger/vehicle transfer systems are working correctly and report defects or issues to the Engineering Manager in a timely way.
- Monitor and control the vessel from the wheelhouse, observing speed, machinery parameters, and water depths, and observe the rules and bylaws regarding navigation in the river Thames.
- Investigate any damage to the vessel, personal injuries to the crew and environmental incidents; take immediate action and act as point of contact for emergency services or regulatory bodies.
- Ensure that Flood Gates are closed at appropriate times and that Security staff are present at the end of, and commencement of the operational work hours.
- Must hold either an MCA Boatmaster’s Licence Tier 1 Level 2 for Cat C waters with a Thames Local Knowledge Endorsement or an equivalent UK STCW Certificate of Competency or Equivalency as II/1, II/2 or II/3. All candidates must also hold in date STCW Basic Safety certificates and an ENG1.
- In depth and in date maritime regulatory knowledge for a passenger/freight ferry operation.
- Expert knowledge of marine Safety Management Systems, in particular the WF SMS.
- Good knowledge of competent crewing, vessel and auxiliary machinery operation.
- Competent in the use of vessel control systems.
- Strong literacy and numeracy skills.
- Oversee efficient crew rostering and operational cover.
- Ability to write detailed investigatory reports
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Overall managerial command of a passenger/freight/vehicle ferry service.
- Production of safe operating procedures and associated risk assessments.
- Management of crew performance and conduct.
- Experience of enforcing high level competing standards and working practices and associated documentation.
- Taking command in emergency situations, including the effective management of crew and liaison with regulatory authorities.
Please apply using your CV and a two-page covering letter. Word format preferred and do not include any photographs or images. Think carefully about the skills, knowledge and experience in the advert and cover this in your CV.
The closing date for applications is 2nd August 2023 @ 23:59
We may close this advert early if we receive a high volume of suitable applications.
We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to represent the city we serve, which will help us become a more innovative and efficient organisation. Our goal is to make our recruitment as inclusive as possible. We are a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all of the essential criteria. We also use anonymising software that removes identifying information from CVs and cover letters to make the process fair.
In return for your commitment and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area but mostly include:
- Final salary pension scheme
- Free travel for you on the TfL network
- Reimbursement of 75% of the cost of a standard class Ticket for National Rail travel from home
- 38 days annual leave including public and bank holidays
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
- Discounted Eurostar travel