Deputy Marine Surveyor
- Post Date:16th March 2023
- Views 591
Job title: Deputy Marine Surveyor
Department: Marine Surveying
Reporting to: Marine Surveyor
Salary: £46,791 per annum + 10% operational allowances (£4,679.10 per annum)
Base: Denton. Gravesend
Closing date: 31st March 2023
Interview date: 20th April 2023
Reference Number: 9
Who we are:
The Port of London Authority is the statutory harbour authority for the tidal Thames and responsible for 95 miles of the River Thames from the estuary to Teddington Lock in west London. We work to keep river users safe, protect and enhance the environment and promote the use of the river for trade and travel.
The applicant would be expected to deputise for all aspects of the Marine Surveyor’s (MS) role and assist in achieving an effective vessel inspection schedule, predominantly in line with the Thames Freight Standard and Inland Waterways Small Passenger Boat Code for commercial vessels working on the tidal Thames.
In addition, there is a requirement to carry out towage approval surveys and assist in post incident investigations, as required by the Harbour Masters.
You will be required to communicate with the owners, operators and general public on all aspects of vessel surveying, taking account of commercial confidentialities including the requirements of the Data Protection Act.
You will be required to travel throughout the reaches of the tidal Thames, and on occasions throughout the UK and potentially Europe.
What we are looking for:
Applicants should have thorough knowledge and experience of the following:
- National Graduate Diploma in Marine Surveying (or equivalent)
- Have a comprehensive, up to date, working knowledge of relevant local and national legislation, inspection criteria, practices, procedures and guidelines.
- A good working knowledge of current MS Office software.
- Hold a full clean UK driving license.
- Must be physically fit and have experience and training for work in confined spaces
- Minimum of 3 years relevant survey experience in Ship Construction, Mechanical/Electrical Engineering, Ship Stability & Safety Equipment
- Lead Auditor (Maritime) ISM & ISO qualification
For an informal chat about the position, please contact Jim Denby (Marine Services Manager) on 01474 562402 or email James.Denby@pla.co.uk
- 28 days annual leave
- Medical Cash Plan (Westfield Health)
- Generous pension
- Onsite parking with electric charging
- Access to Occupational Health, Mindfulness, Counselling and Physiotherapy
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Access to MyGymDiscounts
To apply, please complete the application form, including the reference number stated above.
You are required to have a Right to Work in UK, as currently the PLA is not a sponsor employer, therefore an offer of employment cannot be made unless you currently hold the rights to live and work in the UK.