General Yard Hand
- Post Date:10th June 2022
- Views 714
Department: Marine Services
Reporting to: Marine Manager – Ashore
Salary: starting at £25,929 per annum + 10% Operational Allowance
Base: Marine House, Denton Wharf, Gravesend
Contract Type: Permanent
Closing date: Monday 13 June 2022
Interview date: TBC
We are currently recruiting for a General Yard Hand to work in the Marine Services department based at Denton Wharf.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a good standard of literacy and numeracy with a minimum of GCSE Maths and English
- Maintain a clean and safe working environment
- Operate a range of machinery including but not limited to forklift trucks, quay crane, boatlift, boat mover, scissor lift etc.
- Liaise with 3rd party customers working out of Denton Wharf
- Assist customers with the “chocking” up and maintenance of their vessels
- Carry out driving and general maintenance duties
- Be involved in loading and unloading various craft cargo and stores (both PLA and private)
- Carry out ad-hoc duties as requested by the PLA Marine Manager Ashore
- Have the ability to work under pressure and time restraints independently
- Have good interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively
The successful applicant will be employed on a day work basis to cover operational requirements per the Marine Services Working Agreement. Actual working hours are adapted, often at short notice, to suit workload – this can and will involve late/early start and finish times. Occasionally there will be weekend working which the successful applicant will be expected to cover.
For further information about the job, please contact Jim Denby, Head of Marine Services, on 01474 562492.
You are required to have a Right to Work in UK, as currently the PLA is not a sponsor employer, therefore an offer of employment cannot be made unless you currently hold the rights to live and work in the UK.