Harbour Service Deckhand
- Posted Date:6th April 2022
- Job Type:Full TimeJob Category:Deckhands
Department: Chief Harbour Master’s department
Salary: £24,694 per annum (plus a 10% operational allowance and a 15% shift allowance)
Closing date: 15 April 2022
Shortlisting date: w/c 18 April 2022
Interview date: 3 May 2022 (a second date to be confirmed)
The Port of London Authority (PLA) is recruiting for a Harbour Service Deckhand for the Upper district, based in Richmond.
We are currently recruiting a Harbour Service Deckhand who will primarily provide direct support and contribute to promoting the safety of navigation. You will support the Marine River Inspector in their daily tasks and get involved in the vessels daily operations.
The post holder will act as crew on the PLA Upper District Harbour Service Launch (or other craft working in that role) providing professional seamanship support to the Marine River Inspector, with the opportunity to cover operational needs throughout the port on a variety of vessels..
The ideal candidate will:
- Hold either a BML / Thames LKE or have the ability and aptitude to obtain these qualifications
- Have a good knowledge of the pilot boarding and landing code, the correct rigging of a pilot ladder and transfer of personnel from or to craft and have practical experience of laying alongside ships on a tidal river
- Be flexible in their approach, as they occasionally will be required to work in alternative districts
- Be self-motivated, autonomous and uses their initiative, whilst being a team player and enjoying working as part of a small team
This is an operational shift working role, and overtime to cover shifts is required to ensure the maintenance of the roster. In addition, successful applicants will ultimately be expected to ‘Act Up’ to the position of MRI with the appropriate qualifications and training.
For an informal discussion about the position, please contact Darren Knight, Deputy Harbour Master on 0207 743 7908.
You are required to have a Right to Work in UK, as currently the PLA is not a sponsor employer, therefore an offer of employment cannot be made unless you currently hold the rights to live and work in the UK.