Maritime Trainee (Apprenticeship)
- Post Date:5th January 2023
- Views 678
£17,504 a year
Full Job Description
City Cruises UK is part of the City Experiences division of the Hornblower Group, a global leader in world-class experiences and transportation services. We operate public dining and sightseeing cruises as well as private charters for corporate events, birthday parties, weddings, or other special occasions across London, Poole and York.
As Mate, you will bring knowledge of vessel maintenance and interpersonal skills to our team. In return we are keen to support you in developing your career in the tourism industry and provide you the opportunity to be part of an active social culture and a great team! If this role sounds right for you, please get in touch!
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensure vessels meet Company standards in terms of safety so our passengers remain safe and enjoy their experience on the River Thames.
- To comply with SMS regulations and ensure crew onboard follow and comply with these regulations and that all documentation is maintained and looked after at all times.
- Support the Captain in onboard safety training for all crew members.
- To navigate vessels on the River Thames safely in accordance with the Company passenger plan and PLA by laws and as directed by Captain.
- Safe mooring of the vessels at all times with extreme caution when embarking and disembarking passengers in accordance with the Company’s SMS.
- To provide a vessel safety announcement after leaving each pier to comply with Company SMS.
- To support the Captain in conducting a safety crew briefing every morning for tripping and functions before commencing service to the public.
- To account for and safely embark and disembark passengers from one of our recognised locations along the River Thames.
- To carry out daily vessel log checks in conjunction with the SMS procedures with specific attention to all safety equipment and engines.
- To report any maintenance checks or incidents as per the Company’s SMS to the Captain.
- Support the Captain in checking the vessel’s fuel level and if necessary, fuel the vessel before entering it into service.
- To ensure the vessel has an adequate supply of fresh clear running water onboard for passengers prior to commencing service
- Ensure the vessel is clean, tidy and well presented at all times to comply with the Company’s SMS and London Port Health regulations.
- To provide passengers with a commentary through the City Cruises’ sightseeing journey and give them a magical experience along the River Thames.
- To give our passengers the best customer experience whilst sightseeing with City Cruises’.
- Lead by example and support the Captain to manage all crew on the vessel are well presented and groomed in Company uniform at all times when representing City Cruises’ and serving to the public.
- To promote to onboard sales and other Company products as directed.
Requirements & Qualifications
- English and Maths level 2 or equivalent
- Full understanding of Health & Safety afloat and ashore and implementation of Safety Management System, preferably to ISM standard, would be an advantage
- Experience working within the hospitality industry
- To promote brand image of City Cruises’
Personal Skills Required
- Use excellent communication skills to perform great customer service
- Willingness to learn and progress
Job Type: Apprenticeship
Salary: £17,503.58 per year
- Company pension
- Discounted or free food
- Employee discount
- Sick pay
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- LONDON: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
Work Location: One location
Expected start date: 01/02/2023