- Posted Date:25th September 2018
- Job Type:Full Time
Job Title: Mate
Company: City Cruises (Cherry Garden Pier, Cherry Garden Street, London SE16 4TU) www.citycruises.com
Location: Bermondsey, London
Reporting to: Head of Operations
Salary: Depending on Qualifications & Experience
About City Cruises
City Cruises plc is the leading operator of passenger services on the River Thames, carrying in excess of two million passengers annually on its extensive sightseeing, entertainment and charter services. Based at Cherry Garden Pier, City Cruises operates fifteen revenue earning passenger-carrying boats, along with a small fleet of support vessels and barges.
To provide City Cruises’ passengers with the best experience by, safely navigating passengers along the River Thames within our sightseeing service.
- Ensure vessels meet Company standards in terms of safety so our passengers remain safe and enjoy their experience on the River Thames.
- To comply with SMS regulations and ensure crew onboard follow and comply with these regulations and that all documentation is maintained and looked after at all times.
- Support the Captain in onboard safety training for all crew members.
- To navigate vessels on the River Thames safely in accordance with the Company passenger plan and PLA by laws and as directed by Captain.
- Safe mooring of the vessels at all times with extreme caution when embarking and disembarking passengers in accordance with the Company’s SMS.
- To provide a vessel safety announcement after leaving each pier to comply with Company SMS.
- To support the Captain in conducting a safety crew briefing every morning for tripping and functions before commencing service to the public.
- To account for and safely embark and disembark passengers from one of our recognised locations along the River Thames.
- To carry out daily vessel log checks in conjunction with the SMS procedures with specific attention to all safety equipment and engines.
- To report any maintenance checks or incidents as per the Company’s SMS to the Captain.
- Support the Captain in checking the vessel’s fuel level and if necessary, fuel the vessel before entering it into service.
- To ensure the vessel has an adequate supply of fresh clear running water onboard for passengers prior to commencing service.
- Ensure the vessel is clean, tidy and well presented at all times to comply with the Company’s SMS and London Port Health regulations.
- To provide passengers with a commentary through the City Cruises’ sightseeing journey and give them a magical experience along the River Thames.
- To give our passengers the best customer experience whilst sightseeing with City Cruises’.
- Lead by example and support the Captain to manage all crew on the vessel are well presented and groomed in Company uniform at all times when representing City Cruises’ and serving to the public.
- To promote to onboard sales and other Company products as directed.
- SCTW95 Seaman Certificate
- Holds or working towards BML
Experience operating as Mate of large passenger vessels
Knowledge of vessel maintenance and vessel engineering Desirable:
Full understanding of Health & Safety afloat and ashore and implementation of Safety Management System, preferably to ISM standard, would be an advantage
Experience working within the hospitality industry
To promote brand image of City Cruises’
- Perform great customer service
- Act with integrity at all times
- Approach everything with integrity with what you do
- Deliver excellence through profit, customer satisfaction and living our City Cruises values
- Work with empathy
- To exhibit a professional attitude at all times
- Smart/Well presented
- Excellent communication skills
- Customer focused
- Calm and able to work well under pressure
- Excellent numeracy and literacy skills
- Highly organised
- Understands, respects and follows the chain of command
- Is able to work under direction
- To be flexible in carrying out your duties at any of the Company’s locations, offices or departments and fulfill other tasks that fall within your post as required
- Company focused
- Self motivated
- Willingness to learn and progress
- Able to work to own initiative
- Problem solver with the ability to offer solutions
- Can speak a 2nd language
If you believe you are suitable for this position please email your CV stating what position you are applying for to email@example.com
NB. Please note that due to the high volume of applications we expect to receive, you will only be contacted if you are shortlisted to the next stage of the recruitment process.
Related Jobs (11)
Mate – ongoing vacancies 23rd January 2020
Operational and project coordinator (navigation systems) 16th January 2020 Full Time
Customer Service Agent – Cabin Crew 30th December 2019
Customer Service Agent – Pier Crew 30th December 2019
Captain – ongoing vacancies 30th December 2019
Waiting Staff – ongoing vacancies 20th December 2019