- Post Date:31st January 2023
- Views 719
London, South East England
Have you worked as a Mate on a passenger ferry or vessel? Would you be interested in role which allowed you to live and work in Central London? See details below;
- The safe and efficient management of the Vessel’s operation under the direction of the Captain, and in whose absence the Mate will act with the full responsibility and accountability for the safe operation of the vessel, the welfare of the crew and passengers, the protection of the marine environment; and in so doing will assume the full responsibilities as outlined in the Captain job description.
- Working as part of a roster which includes night shift working.
- Ensure vessel services meet, or exceed the clients KPI’s at all times.
- Ensure full compliance with Safety Management System, and other regulatory authority requirements, at all times particularly in respect of vessels and crew.
- Monitor all vessel operations, berthing, navigation, passenger and vehicle transfer systems are functioning correctly, and report defects and abnormalities in a timely way to the Engineering manager or Engineer on board as appropriate.
- Maintain all on board equipment including machinery, engines and safety equipment and ensure regular inspections are carried out on such.
- Investigate any damage to the vessel, personal injuries, and any marine environmental incidents, and to assist the Captain in liaison with the Emergency Services or regulatory authorities in emergency situations.
- Supervise the safe mooring and unmooring of the vessel at all times.
- Uphold TfL and WF standards of customer service for passengers, and to be responsible for the passenger count protocols and reporting for every voyage.
- Managing staff including crew and car park, including but not limited to rostering, training or development, toolbox talks on changes in the operational or regulatory environments.
- Ensure that the North and South terminal car parking areas are adequately resourced at all times. Maintain and manage communications across the operation.
- Any reasonable management requests and flexibility to support the operation.
Knowledge & Skills
- Must hold a current, valid, Level 1, Tier 2, Boatmasters License for category D, UK inland waterways and Local Knowledge Endorsement for are of vessel operation.
- In depth and in date maritime regulatory knowledge and application.
- Expert knowledge of crewing and WF Safety Management System, competent crewing, vessel and auxiliary machinery operation.
- Competent in the use of vessel control systems.
- Strong literacy and numeracy skills.
- Efficient crew rostering and operational cover requirements.
- Ability to write detailed investigative reports.
- Excellent verbal and written communications.
- Leadership skills.
Apply today to avoid disappointment – we are actively recruiting or immediate starts on the vessel.