Mate (Boat Crew)
- Post Date:16th September 2022
- Views 864
£25,229 – £29,898 a year
Customer Service: 1 year (Preferred)
Full Job Description
About the company
City Cruises UK is part of the City Experiences division of the Hornblower Group, a global leader in world-class experiences and transportation services. We operate public dining and sightseeing cruises as well as private charters for corporate events, birthday parties, weddings, or other special occasions across London, Poole and York.
As Mate, you will bring knowledge of vessel maintenance and interpersonal skills to our team. In return we are keen to support you in developing your career in the tourism industry and provide you the opportunity to be part of an active social culture and a great team!
If this role sounds right for you, please get in touch!
- Ensure vessels meet Company standards in terms of safety so our passengers remain safe and enjoy their experience on the River Thames.
- To comply with SMS regulations and ensure crew onboard follow and comply with these regulations and that all documentation is maintained and looked after at all times.
- Support the Captain in onboard safety training for all crew members.
- To navigate vessels on the River Thames safely in accordance with the Company passenger plan and PLA by laws and as directed by Captain.
- Safe mooring of the vessels at all times with extreme caution when embarking and disembarking passengers in accordance with the Company’s SMS.
- To provide a vessel safety announcement after leaving each pier to comply with Company SMS.
- To support the Captain in conducting a safety crew briefing every morning for tripping and functions before commencing service to the public.
- To account for and safely embark and disembark passengers from one of our recognised locations along the River Thames.
- To carry out daily vessel log checks in conjunction with the SMS procedures with specific attention to all safety equipment and engines.
- To report any maintenance checks or incidents as per the Company’s SMS to the Captain.
- Support the Captain in checking the vessel’s fuel level and if necessary, fuel the vessel before entering it into service.
- To ensure the vessel has an adequate supply of fresh clear running water onboard for passengers prior to commencing service.
- Ensure the vessel is clean, tidy and well presented at all times to comply with the Company’s SMS and London Port Health regulations.
- To provide passengers with a commentary through the City Cruises’ sightseeing journey and give them a magical experience along the River Thames.
- To give our passengers the best customer experience whilst sightseeing with City Cruises’.
- Lead by example and support the Captain to manage all crew on the vessel are well presented and groomed in Company uniform at all times when representing City Cruises’ and serving to the public.
- To promote to onboard sales and other Company products as directed.
- SCTW95 Seaman Certificate
- Holds or working towards BML
- Knowledge of vessel maintenance and vessel engineering
- Experience operating as Mate of large passenger vessels
- Full understanding of Health & Safety afloat and ashore and implementation of Safety Management System, preferably to ISM standard, would be an advantage
- Experience working within the hospitality industry desirable
Personal Skills required
- Use excellent communication skills (both verbal and written) to provide great customer service
- Deliver excellence through profit, customer satisfaction and living our City Cruises values
- Willingness to learn and progress
- Exhibit a professional attitude and act with integrity and empathy at all times
- Excellent problem solving skills and an ability to remain calm and work well under pressure
- Strong numeracy and literacy skills
- Due to the nature of the role, time keeping is very important and the suitable person will be required to attend work on a punctual basis
- An ability to work well under direction and follow the chain of command
- To be flexible in carrying out your duties at any of the Company’s locations, offices or departments and fulfill other tasks that fall within your post as required
- Knowledge of a second language
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: £25,229.05-£29,898.46 per year
- Company pension
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee discount
- Referral programme
- Sick pay
- Store discount
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- London, SE16 4TU: reliably commute or plan to relocate before starting work (required)
- Customer Service: 1 year (preferred)