Mates – Uber Boat by Thames Clippers
- Posted Date:26th April 2022
- Job Type:Full TimeJob Category:Mate
We are recruiting Mates to join our Crew at an exciting time of expansion.
Acting as second in command of our boats, you will be responsible for assisting the Master with the safe operation and navigation of the boats.
Salary: £30,086 a year plus benefits
Closing date: Sunday 8 May 2022
Key duties will include:
- Providing an additional lookout for the Master;
- Operation of the CCTV on board and VHF radio systems;
- Ensuring that the vessel is appropriately secured to allow for the safe embark and disembarkation of passengers;
- Undertaking checks of the vessel’s equipment and various safety responsibilities, in accordance with our Safety Management System; and
- Responsibility for the day to day management of the Deck Customer Service Assistant working on board.
You will have a proven ability to work effectively as part of a team and to establish good professional relationships with colleagues; thrive in a very busy environment and maintain patience and empathy even when working under pressure; and have excellent communication skills with the ability to build good internal and external relationships.
Knowledge of the River Thames and an interest/background in a maritime environment would be advantageous, as would the following qualifications:
- Relevant STCW (or equivalent);
- Sea Survival;
- Fire Fighting;
- First Aid; and
- Short Range VHF.
You’ll be based on our boats, which are moored at Trinity Buoy Wharf, Poplar, London E14 0JY, a short walk from Canning Town tube or a hop across the river in our staff boat, from North Greenwich tube.
So why apply?
Here at Uber Boat by Thames Clippers we strive to be excellent and take pride in everything we do; we trust in the power of strong teamwork, and we respect one another’s uniqueness, making it a great place to work!
We are an entrepreneurial and inclusive organisation that was voted “Employer of the Year” at the 2017 London Transport Awards. There is real potential for internal development and promotion within our business and internal succession is one of our core principles.
Our commitment to inclusion
We are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive workforce. We believe in equality of opportunity for all and our approach to recruitment and selection is fair, open and based purely on merit. Applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships. If you require reasonable adjustments in any recruitment process with us, please make us aware.