- Post Date:15th January 2024
- Apply Before: 29th February 2024
- Views 93
Cory is one of the UK’s leading resource management, recycling, and energy recovery companies. We use the River Thames as a green highway, saving around 100,000 truck movements a year – a vital way of getting traffic off the road and making London safer and less polluted. As a river-based business, we are proud to support the growth of the Thames economy and the wider inland waterways sector.
We are recruiting for the position of Plater/Welder. The primary purpose of this role is to assist the Cory Ship Repair managers to provide an effective maintenance and repair service to meet the demands of the company’s in-house and third-party needs. The successful candidate will provide support for the day-to-day operations at Cory Ship Repair Services and ensure full compliance with all relevant workplace legislation at all times.
Typical duties include:
- Fabrication of steel barge/vessel sections
- Repair and maintenance of tugs, barges and containers and third-party vessels
- General woodworking, to include use of woodworking machinery
- The operation of heavy machinery used in the fabrication process
- Emergency repair of tugs and barges and third-party vessels including salvage work
- Participating in the movement of craft in the immediate vicinity of Gravesend and Charlton and in/out of the slipways
- Assisting in yard activities (preparation and painting, plant operation, HP water washing, assisting Fitters/MSOs, housekeeping and any other duties that may arise)
- Ensuring full compliance with all international, national, local and company safety and environmental legislation, regulations, codes, procedures, and guidance
- Full participation in emergency exercises
- Assisting in the training of apprentices
- To carry out this work at other Cory-operated locations
The successful candidate should demonstrate the following abilities and competencies:
- Hot works experience, including welding, fabrication, and burning
- Working at height awareness
- Understanding of technical drawings and template making
- Confined space/enclosed space awareness
- Flexibility in working hours
- Ability to work well in a team
Please note: While this role is based at Charlton, there is the requirement to work at our Gravesend site from time to time. It would be advantageous to hold a full driving licence.
Cory is an inclusive workplace for people of all backgrounds and walks of life.
As a signatory of the armed forces covenant, we actively encourage job applications from veterans and reservists, to whom we will provide additional assistance when needed.
You may see a long list of job requirements and feel discouraged because you don’t match every single bullet point. We welcome your application if you feel you could make a positive impact in the role.
Related Jobs (25)
People Operations Manager on 8th February 2024