Traffic Management Assistant – Woolwich Ferry
- Post Date:25th January 2024
- Views 70
Organisation – Woolwich Ferry
Job – River Services
Position Type – Full Time
Please note: Applying for this role means you have read and understood this advert and any associated links.
Due to the expected high response to these vacancies we reserve the right to close this campaign once we have a suitable pool of applicants, which could be prior to the published application closing date.
Contract Type: TfL – Permanent
Salary: £27,515 + 7% unsociable hours allowances
Location: Woolwich Ferry
The closing date for applications is 28th January 2024 at 23:59hrs
The Woolwich Ferry is a free vehicle and pedestrian ferry service across the River Thames in East London. The ferry service links Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich on the south bank, to North Woolwich in the borough of Newham on the north bank. It also links two ends of the inner London orbital road routes, the North and South Circulars. In excess of two million passengers use the ferry service each year.
There has been a Thames ferry service at Woolwich since the 14th Century. The original small open hand powered vessels and thereafter paddle steamers, are a long way from the two-diesel electric battery hybrid vessels which entered service early in 2019, accompanied by the intelligent docking and locking systems (IDLS) at the north and south terminals.
The transition programme to facilitate this is well under way and as part of this transition we are recruiting for Traffic Management Assistants.
As the Traffic Management Assistant, your general-purpose duties will be associated with the day to day operation of the Woolwich Ferry. You will manage and supervise the safe and efficient marshalling of passengers and vehicles within the North and South terminals (and across the roadways and access roads). This will be to and from the vessels in both directions on each vessel docking when loading and unloading the Woolwich Ferries.
You will demonstrate the highest standards of TfL and WF customer service in line with existing standards in other areas of TfL transport operations. You Will work as part of a roster, Monday to Sunday, ensuring full compliance with legislative requirements and WF SMS, policies, plans and standard operating procedures for the safe and efficient landside operations of the Woolwich Ferry service; and to ensure Security or handover of the terminal areas at the start and end of the terminal operating shifts.
- Safe and efficient marshalling and direction of passengers and vehicles in the North and South terminal areas for loading onto and discharge from the vessels.
- Advise the ferry Captain/Mate of any predictable surge or overload on terminal capacity/capability situation and take positive steps to minimise such when it occurs.
- Assist with the opening/closure of the Flood Defence Gates at the terminals when required.
- Carry out daily cleaning and clearance duties within the terminal areas and access roads to/from the vessels.
- Carry out inspections of passengers and vehicles in the terminal areas or on the access roads when instructed to do so by the Duty Operations Manager. Report all suspicious items to the Duty Operations Manager as a pre-cursor to this event happening.
- Immediately report accidents/incidents/emergencies/vehicle breakdowns or abandonments to the Duty Operations Manager, or his/her appointed Assistants or Deputies, in the terminal areas or on the access roads.
- Act as the first point of contact with the General Public for complaints and comments and feed to Second Mates and if urgent to the Duty Operations Manager.
- Assist with the integration and operation of any new traffic control scheme at the terminals and on the access roads which may involve changes in control staff or systems of work in respect of marshalling or flow control.
- Ensure all terminal areas are closed off and opened up in accordance with the WF Security Plan.
- Inspect, identify and report defects, maintain and repair infrastructure, vessel, equipment and other items associated with the Woolwich ferry operation. Complete tasks as directed, identified and included in the WF OPM system as appropriate.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience required for the role:
- Good working knowledge of the Woolwich Ferry and landside terminals Policies, Plans and Standard Operating Procedures. (Desired)
- Good working knowledge of legislation governing use of landside terminals and their operational and security issues. (Desired)
- Familiarisation with the local area to give assistance or directions to motorists and foot passengers. (Desired)
- Awareness of site safety and Security issues and procedures. (Desired)
- Knowledge of operating service hours and current status, complaints process and key contacts. (Desired)
- Competent with the safe and efficient loading and unloading operations of a passenger/vehicle ferry, including marshalling and control of landside terminals and access roads. (Desired)
- Good verbal skills for dealing with customer complaints on the job. (Essential)
- Ability to transfer to the post of Deckhand if required by the Second Mate or Duty Operations Manager or his/her Assistants or deputies. (Desired)
- Basic literacy and numeracy skills. (Essential)
- Able to use a computer and operate a body camera if provided. (Essential)
- Ability to maintain event logs. (Essential)
- Calm and level headed. (Essential)
- Safe and efficient systematic loading and unloading of passengers and vehicles to/from the vessels and within terminal areas. (Desired)
- Experience of lone working and being part of a team. (Essential)
- Ability to take appropriate action with hostile or aggressive customers or the General Public. (Essential)
- Experience of taking immediate action in the event of emergencies or unusual situations developing in the landside terminals and access roads. (Essential)
- Experience of Security protocols, policies, and the WF Security Plan to apply to abnormal situations at all times. (Desired)
This is a safety critical role; therefore, Occupational Health Clearance will be required.
Appointment to post
In order to be appointed to a post, candidates must successfully pass a basic criminal records check, employment referencing, medical screening and a drug & alcohol test.
Reasonable Adjustment Process:
If you require reasonable adjustments, you must notify the recruitment team at least 48 hours (excluding weekends) prior to your scheduled assessment event to allow us to accommodate your requirements. You will then be sent a confirmation email which you will need to bring to your assessment. If you fail to bring this on the day your adjustments will not be granted, and you will be unable to re-book.
We will consider that you are the expert regarding your own requirements, and we will consider all requests fairly within the context of the role.
Please take the time to read the Disability Charter here.
In return for your dedication and expertise, you will enjoy excellent benefits and scope to grow. Rewards vary according to the business area and role, but may include:
- Free travel for you on the TfL network
- A 75% discount on National Rail Season Ticket and interest free loan
- 30 days annual leave plus public and bank holidays
- Private healthcare discounted scheme (optional)
- Tax-efficient childcare payments
- Tax-efficient cycle-to-work programme
- Retail, health, leisure and travel offers
- Discounted Eurostar travel
We are committed to equality, diversity and inclusion. We want to represent the city we serve, which will help us become a more innovative and efficient organisation. Our goal is to make our recruitment as inclusive as possible. We are a disability confident employer who guarantee an interview to any disabled candidate who meets all of the essential criteria. We also use anonymising software that removes identifying information from CVs and cover letters to make the process fair
Related Jobs (26)
People Operations Manager on 8th February 2024