Head of Project Management
- Post Date:15th January 2024
- Views 96
Department: Marine Operations
Reporting to: Director of Marine Operations
Salary: £77,754 per annum + £5,577 per annum Car Allowance
Base: Gravesend, Kent
Closing date: 26th January 2024
Interview date: W/C 12th February 2024
Who we are:
The Port of London Authority is the statutory harbour authority for the tidal Thames and responsible for 95 miles of the River Thames from the Estuary to Teddington Lock in West London. We work to keep river users safe, protect and enhance the environment and promote the use of the river for trade and travel.
The Marine Operations function directs, coordinates and enhances a diverse group of support related activities, including Marine Services, Marine and Civil Engineering and Hydrographic teams, together with several other functions to ensure that operational and business needs are delivered safely, efficiently, and compliantly.
An exciting new role established to enhance and modernise the Authority’s ability to deliver strategic projects with effective communication, stakeholder engagement, predictability, and value for money.
The postholder will lead and co-ordinate the delivery of significant, strategic projects; business critical, complex, high-value projects with significant organisational impact across multiple business units and locations.
The successful candidate will review and develop the approach to project management in the organisation, lead on the development of standardised, effective and proportionate project governance arrangements and the related processes for project management, keeping the system under regular review.
What we are looking for:
The successful candidate will have:
- BSc/BA diploma in management or a relevant field
- Professional qualifications in project and/or programme management
- Membership of a relevant professional institution, chartered professional status or working towards chartered status
- Project/programme management experience for a minimum of five years
- Competency in project management software tools and methodologies
- Knowledge and experience of budget development, management and evaluation
- Experience and successful track record in senior stakeholder engagement and managing stakeholders at all levels.
- Strong communication, presentation and negotiation skills
Role and Responsibilities:
- Develop standardised, effective and proportionate project governance arrangements and project controls and the related processes for keeping the system under regular review
- Produce and maintain the project management policies
- Review project management strategy regularly
- Successful management of the delivery of projects to time, scope, and budget
- Define project scope, goals, and deliverables that support PLA’s strategic vision in collaboration with senior management/ key stakeholders
- Estimate, budget, and oversee financial aspects of the projects, including resource allocation and financial tracking
- Ensure a high level of effective communication is maintained throughout the project lifecycle
- Provide appropriate progress updates to stakeholders, through both formal and informal channels, developing a close working relationship with the sponsors and key business area focal points
- Ensure appropriate stakeholder and contractor management activities are undertaken
- Management of risks ensuring these are resolved or escalated as appropriate
- Ensure dependencies and interfaces are identified and managed
- Ensure projects comply with relevant regulations and standards
- Ensure projects are adequately resourced and identify resource requirements and skill gaps
- Manage project reporting for stakeholders
- Lead departmental project managers and other staff, creating a projects culture within the PLA
- Contribute to the performance management of indirect reports as required
- Undertake / facilitate technical and professional training as required
Proven experience of significant, business critical project delivery, to demonstrate a credible track record.
Experience of developing and implementing project management / project control systems.
Thorough understanding of project/programme management techniques and methodologies.
Experience and successful track record in stakeholder engagement and management, with proven ability to manage relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders.
Knowledge and experience of budget development, management and evaluation
Ability to work with ambiguity and politically complex projects.
Influencing, motivating and leadership skills, with an ability to deliver change
Ability to navigate senior stakeholder relationships.
Excellent knowledge of MS Office and programme/project management software
Strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to articulate complex ideas to a variety of audiences.
Strong analytical, problem-solving, presentation and negotiation skills.
Proactive, assertive, resilient, tenacious and self-confident.
In return, we offer a competitive benefits package:
- 30 days annual leave + Bank Holidays
- Private Health Insurance
- Generous pension
- Onsite parking with electric charging
- Access to Occupational Health, Mindfulness, Counselling and Physiotherapy
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Access to MyGymDiscounts
For further information or if you would like to have an informal discussion about the position, please contact Steven Clapperton, Director of Marine Operations on 01474 562300 or Steven.Clapperton@pla.co.uk.
The PLA are not registered with the UK Home Office and do not sponsor candidates who require a visa or work permit to work in the UK, therefore an offer of employment cannot be made unless you currently hold the rights to live and work in the UK.
Related Jobs (26)
People Operations Manager on 8th February 2024